XpoLog is usually agent-less. Remote XpoLog is an agent-based mode of XpoLog, which is supported in organizations that do not have direct access to a server, for example highly secured networks that do not allow direct connection to the server, mainframes, etc.. In this case, local XpoLog instances can communicate with each other over HTTP/S, and one XpoLog instance can connect to another and import from it log(s).
Logs that are added to your XpoLog system from a remote XpoLog system appear under the list of Folders and Logs in the left pane of your XpoLog system log viewer. There is no indication that these log(s) came from another XpoLog system for the users, only for administrators on edit mode.
To add a remote XpoLog log into your XpoLog system:
- In Add Data pane click on Remote XpoLog. The Source and Collection Setting wizard opens.
- To change a log source, near Source Type, click on the Change button.
- In Connection Details, select the Remote XpoLog account required to connect to the log, or click the new link to add an account to the system (see Address Book).
Note: If you do not have connectivity details for any Remote XpoLog accounts, the Add Remote XpoLog Account page is presented automatically.
Select the Remote XpoLog instance you wish to pull logs from.
- In Log Path or Directory, click Browse to select the logs to add to your XpoLog instance (multiple logs may be selected).
- Optionally, click on Collection Settings to define advanced settings for the Remote XpoLog log – Files Filters, and/or Regional Settings (see Configuring Advanced Log Settings).
- Click Add Log. A progress box displays the status of the system as it scans the selected log. When the scan completes, the Patterns Administration Wizard screen opens.
- Optionally, Apply patterns on the log data and save the log in XpoLog (see Applying Patterns on the Log).
- Click Save – XpoLog applies an automated pattern on the incoming log. Log Collection Settings wizard opens.
- Optionally, defining the basic information of the new log (see Setting Log General Information).
- Click one of the following:
Save & Close – XpoLog saves the new log and points to the logs tree. locate the log in the logs tree and enter the viewer in order to view the log.
Save & Add Another – XpoLog saves the new log and points to Add Log screen so that you may another log.