The Add Logs Directory task enables scanning a single or multiple logs directories to XpoLog, and automating their execution using a scheduler. This feature should be used, as opposed to the Administration > Add Logs Directory menu item, when you want to add multiple logs directories (as opposed to a single log directory), or to automate the execution of a single or multiple log directories (as opposed to manual execution).
Configuration of an Add Logs Directory task for adding a single logs directory to XpoLog is similar to the configuration of the Administration > Add Logs Directory feature; it requires specifying the path to the logs directory. For a logs directory that resides on a remote machine (SSH or Windows Network), it also requires specifying a connectivity account to the remote machine.
Configuration of an Add Logs Directory task for adding multiple logs directory to XpoLog requires specifying the path to an XML-based Scanner Configuration file, which contains the configuration for the addition of multiple logs from multiple servers and/or directories to XpoLog. For a detailed explanation on creating the XML-Based Scanner Configuration file, see Creating an XML-Based Scanner Configuration File.
To add an Add Logs Directory task:
- Open the Tasks console (see Tasks), and click the New Task button
In the XpoLog Manager homepage, under More Actions, click Add Task.
- In the page that opens, select the Add Logs Directory option, and then click Continue.
The Add Logs Directory Task page opens.
- In Name, type the name of the new task.
- In Description, type a description of the new task; optional.
- In Parent Folder, click select and select the folder under which the new folders and logs are to be added.
- Under Configuration, if the tasks configuration is specified in an external file, select the Use a scanner configuration file option, and in Configuration file path, either type the full path name to the scanner configuration file or browse to it, or click on Upload File to upload the external file.
Otherwise, select the Scan a specific directory option, and proceed as described in the Scanning a Single Logs Directory section below.
- Optionally, configure Advanced Settings (see Configuring Advanced Settings).
- To automate task execution, open the Schedule tab, and configure the scheduler as described in Scheduling a Task.
- Click Save.
The Add Logs Directory task is saved.
Scanning a Single Logs Directory
The Scan a Specific Directory option is used for bringing in a single logs directory from any of the following locations:
- Local – The logs directory is on the same machine as XpoLog Center.
- Windows Network – The logs directory is on a remote Windows machine.
- Over SSH – The logs directory is on a remote UNIX machine (with SSH connecting protocol).
Adding a Windows Network or Over SSH logs directory requires connecting to their server using a connectivity account.
To scan a single logs directory:
- In Location Type, select the location of the log directory to add: Local, Windows Network, or Over SSH.
- For a Windows Network or Over SSH location, in Connection Details, select the authentication account required to connect to the server where the selected directory resides, or click the new link to add an authentication account to the system (see Address Book).
- In Directory Path, type the path to the directory that contains the log files
Click Browse and in the System Files Browser (of the local, Windows Network, or Over SSH machine) that opens, expand the folders to get to the desired directory, and then click Select to display the path to the logs directory in Directory Path.
- In Collection Policy, select a predefined collection policy.