XpoSearch enables users with sufficient permission to save a search so that it can be quickly run in the future. This is a very handy feature for useful or interesting searches that you expect to run again, as it saves you the time of reformulating and retyping the search string. For a detailed explanation on how to run a saved search, see Running a Saved Search.
Saving a search is very quick and simple – the minimum that is required is for you to define a name for the search; the search string, which is also required, is automatically input by the system. You also have the option of defining the following:
- The time range for which the search is to be run (relative to the time that the search is initiated), such as Last 3 days. If the time range is not defined, the saved search runs on the time range selected in the Search Query Panel at the time that you ran the saved search.
- A description of the search.
- An indication of whether or not this search is to be included in the analysis that the Analytics engine performs on logs. A severity of None excludes this search from the analysis that the Analytics engine performs on logs. A severity of Low, Medium, or High indicates that the Analytics engine is to include this search in the analysis it performs on logs.
To save a search:
- In the Search Query Panel, click Save Search.
- The Save Search dialog box opens. The search query is automatically input into Search Term.
- In Name, type a meaningful name for the search (mandatory).
- In Description, type a description of the search (optional).
- In Time Range, select from the dropdown list the period of time relative to the current date that the search is to be conducted (optional). Leave blank to XpoSearch to run the saved search on the time range that is displayed in the Search Query Panel at the time that the saved search runs.
- In Severity, select from the dropdown list a severity of Low, Medium, or High if you want the Analytics engine to include this search in the analysis it performs on logs. Otherwise, leave the severity at None, to exclude this search from the analysis that the Analytics engine performs on logs.
- Click Save.
The search is saved.