The first screen of the Add Log wizard includes the Basic Info section for defining the basic information of the new log in XpoLog Center, including:
- Log Name – the name of the log in XpoLog Center
- Parent Folder – the folder where to locate the newly added log
- Tag to Application(s) – optional; the applications to tag to the log
- Log Type(s) – optional; the log type of the added log
- Collection Policy – the collection policy for the added log
Setting the Log Name and Location in XpoLog
By default, the log is placed under Folders and Logs in XpoLog Center directly under Folders and Logs in the left pane of the Log Viewer. However, you can select or create another parent folder for the newly added log. In this case, the log is placed under the selected parent folder located under Folders and Logs.
To set the name and location of the newly added log:
- In the Basic Info section of the Add Log Wizard, in Log Name, type a meaningful name for the new log.
- If you want to select for the new log a Parent folder other than the default (Folders and Logs), near Parent Folder, click select.
The Parent Folder page opens, displaying the available parent folders.
- In the Parent Folder page, do one of the following:
Select an existing folder to be the parent of the new log, by clicking the folder on the Parent Folder page.
Click the Create New button, and in Enter new folder name, type the name of the new parent folder, and then click the Save button.
The selected folder appears in Parent Folder.
Tagging the Log to Application(s)
Optionally, you can tag the newly added log to applications.
To tag the added logs directory to application(s):
- Near Tag to Application(s), click select.
The Tag to Application(s) page is displayed.
- In the Tag to Application(s) page, do one of the following:
Select the checkboxes of the applications to tag to the log.
Click the Create New button, and in the New Application dialog box, in Name, type the name of the new application, and then click the Add button. The application is added to the New Application list, and its checkbox is marked.
- In the Tag to Application(s) page, click the Apply button.
The selected applications, separated by commas, appear in Tag to Application(s).
Tagging the Log to Log Type(s)
Optionally, you can tag the newly added log to log type.
To tag the added logs directory to log type(s):
- In the Log Types, type a meaningful name for the log type of the new log.
Selecting the Log Collection Policy
XpoLog uses a log collection policy to determine how XpoLog server should collect the log information into its repository, and how long the log should be archived. By default, XpoLog uses the default log collection policy. However, you can also use a predefined log collection policy (see Defining a Log Collection Policy).
To define a log collection policy:
- In Collection Policy, select the collection policy to use.