You can create a new filter for the log displayed in the Log Viewer, by filling in the parameters in the customized form that XpoLog provides for this log.
A newly created filter is automatically saved in the system, and can be used at a later time, by simply selecting it from a list of saved filters.
To create a new filter:
- In the Log Viewer toolbar, click the Filter Menu button, and in the menu that appears, click New.
The Filter definition dialog box opens. A name is automatically generated for the filter.
- In Name, type a meaningful name for the filter to replace the name automatically generated by the system.
- Leave the use search engine checkbox selected; this indicates to the filter to use indexing, which expedites the search.
- In Description, type a meaningful description for the filter.
- In Query, type a search query using the simple and complex search syntax rules.
- Under Date and Time, select the Dates limit option to show the log records that arrived before or after a specific date and time, or select the second option (dynamic) to show log records from a period of time relative to the time that the filter is run.
- Under Text, in the textbox, type a numeric or character string, and from the dropdown list, indicate whether to search for records that equals / not equals (for numeric strings), or contain / not contain (for character strings) the text.
- Select one of the following checkboxes:
match whole word - only highlight words in records that are an exact match to the searched text, and do not highlight words that contain the searched text.
case sensitive - only highlight words in records that are the same case as the searched text.
regular expression - only highlight regular expressions in the records that match the searched text.
- Repeat steps 7 and 8 for each search text (up to four).
- Select one of the following options:
search in all columns - to search for the text in all columns of the record
search in these columns - to search in specific columns of the record; in this case, select a column to add, and click Add to place it under the Only list.
- If you want Analytics to regard this filter as a predefined rule, set the severity of the filter rule to Low, Medium, or High. Otherwise, leave none.
- Click Save.
The filter is saved and run on the log.